Once upon a time, there was the original BreakDrink podcast. You might know them from the collaborative efforts of this podcast network from 2010 to 2013. Well… we’re back. Sort of. It’s not a comeback or the same @BreakDrink you know (and love?). This BreakDrink podcast will share the real conversation Jeff and I typically have … and perhaps a perspective from any guest who might be willing to join us for a bit of a chat. I have no doubt we will have random conversations. It could touch upon higher ed issues and possibly a bit of technology — but really, this podcast will dig into other relevant topics like tacos, coffee, travel, parenting, the NBA, rescue dogs, and more. Why are we podcasting again? Apparently, we need a podcast to talk and record this banter on a regular basis — and, if you subscribe, then you can reap the benefits of these meanderings in our chats.
In our first episode of BreakDrink in January, Jeff and I reflected on how much podcasting has changed (or not changed) with the infusion of quality content productions and shared what’s in the podcasting realm we listen to these days. We both appreciate the storytelling meets investigation journalism, and love the audio format. For others on the podcasting bandwagon, I blame/thank Serial for the resurgence of this medium. 🙂 Since we’ve been out of the podcasting game, there are a few others podcasters who have emerged and this episode is a deep dive into just a few that sit on our podcast playlist that we enjoy.
Here are a few recommended podcasts that Jeff & I have listened to … as of late:
- Reply All hosted by PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman (from TDLR)
- Homecoming starring Catherine Keener, Oscar Isaac, and David Schwimmer.
- Wiretap (archived) by Jonathan Goldstein
- Heavyweight with Jonathan Goldstein
- We thank Serial for bringing back podcast love.
- Startup chronicles the Gimlet Media podcast network startup (season 1)
And a few, of MANY, higher ed podcasts to add to your listening cue:
- Professional Reputations Aside (archive) with Valerie & Matt
- Student Affairs Spectacular via The Student Affairs Collective
- Higher Ed Live (Student Affairs Live et al.)
- Teaching in Higher Ed with Bonnie
- TOPcast Podcast with Kelvin & Thomas from UCF
- Research in Action hosted by Katie Linder at OSU Ecampus
- The Imposters Podcast with Sue, Mal, Becca & Amma
- Josie & The Podcast with Josie (of course)
- The #3Wedu Podcast with Tanya, Jess, Nori, Patrice & me #cheers
You can listen directly below, or check out the notes from BreakDrink, Episode No. 1:
To share this podcast with friends, families, or foes, feel free to do so with the following links:
- iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/breakdrink-podcast/id346969286?mt=2
- SoundClound: https://soundcloud.com/breakdrink
If you have comments, questions, or feedback about this podcast episode OR want to share your own input/resources, please feel free to post a comment below, or follow us on the following “BreakDrink” podcast channels: