Last night, the Break Drink Campus Tech podcasting crew decided to tackle the hot topic of Social Media Strategies in Student Affairs. During the Campus Tech #14 show, the three of us shared some thoughts and ideas that are currently being put into practice for many higher education institutions, and discussed how social media is impacting our university and college campuses.
Photo c/o http://www.policytool.net/
The hot topic included the following discussion points:
- digital citizenship
- education and awareness of Student Affair practitioners and students
- the evolution of social media on campus
- questions & concerns for best practices of social media in higher ed
- examples of current social media policies & guidelines
- resources for developing social media strategy for your campus
Image c/o The Advanced Human Technologies Group
- ELI 7 Things You Should Know – 64 Resources http://www.educause.edu/Resources/Browse/ELI%207%20Things%20You%20Should%20Know/33438
- Nonprofit Social Media Tips http://www.convio.com/signup/guides/social-media-tip-sheets/Nonprofit-Social-Media-Tips.html
- Policy Tool for Social Media: http://socialmedia.policytool.net/
- 21 Rules for Social Media Engagement http://mashable.com/2010/05/18/rules-social-media-engagment/
- 10 Must-Haves for Your Social Media Policy http://mashable.com/2009/06/02/social-media-policy-musts/
- 4 Tips for Integrating Social Media Into the Classroom http://mashable.com/2010/05/11/social-media-school/
- Social Networking Security – Internet2 Wiki https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/itsg2/Social+Networking+Security
- Social Media Policy Generator http://socialmedia.policytool.net
In thinking about this grand topic, the Campus Tech posse realized that it was a daunting issue to tackle in a 60 minute podcast. The discussion about emerging technology and social media in higher education will not be over soon. To help continue the conversation and support best practices using social media, I initiated a digital archive of resources we hope other Student Affairs practitioners will contribute to:
Social Media Strategies in Student Affairs Google Doc
If your campus has a social media strategy or you have further resources for best practices, please share them in the above document. The Campus Tech show would love to know what you think about social media on campus, and we will be sure to talk about updates or comments we receive.
NEXT WEEK on the Campus Tech Podcast: Speaking of Social Media in Higher Education….
Stay tuned for the show next Monday (8/4/10) at 7 pm CDT as we connect to the LIVE happenings of the 2010 NACADA Annual Conference for Academic Advising professionals. This year is the first year @NACADA has recruited a team to support social media and a backchannel for participants near & far. Here’s the NACADA Social Media Guide & be sure to follow the hashtag #nacada10.
5 thoughts on “Social Media Strategies in Student Affairs”