Thinking about using a wiki for your learning environment? If so, you might want to head to PBWorks Summer Camp. This interactive, online forum is a great professional development opportunity for educators who wish to engage in discussion, complete assignments, watch virtual presentations and learn from other wiki mentors some best practices in the wiki-world.
Here is the PBWorks camp syllabus:
Week One: June 22-26
How to set up your wiki:
- Wiki Structure
- What lesson plans to wikify and how
- Upload files – like your syllabus- and make it accessible from the front page
- Important features used for this course
- Beginner tips from our Mentors!
Register for this week’s webinar on June 23rd at 10:00PST: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/497735667
Week Two: June 29- July 3
Interactive Media and How to use it: Review the media options on our educator site
- Chat rooms – when they work and when not to use them
- Videos – tips on video recording software for teachers, and how to quickly embedd videos on your wiki page
- What video and image services are there for educators to use for free
Round Table Chat with Kristine and the PBwiki Mentors
- Hear from Mentors and find out where they struggled and where they succeeded with interactive media on their wiki.
- What to be aware of when using photos, video and podcasts (aka – no personal photos on a public wiki!)
- Learn step by step how to use the interactive media features.
Homework week two: (This should take 1.5 hours)
- Create a video and upload it to your wiki. Use one of the suggested tools
- Create a survey/poll and upload it to your wiki. Use one of the suggested tools
- Link to your video/poll on your camper page.
- Ask a question, or join the conversation on our site for educators
Register for this week’s webinar on June 30th at 10:00PST: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/913182851
Week Three: July 6 -10
Security features in PBwiki 2.0 — keep your work private!
- User Permission levels and how to make changes
- Folders & Folder security
- Page level security
Demonstration of the PBwiki Security Features
- The most important webinar of all — learn how to set security controls BEFORE your students join the wiki.
Homework week three: This should take 20 minutes
- Create a new homework Week Three page & place it in the Week Three folder.
- Go to the page on PBwiki Permission levels. Read over the PBwiki permission levels and answer the questions. Respond to the questions on your week three homework page.
- Go to the page on Folder Security. Watch the three short videos and respond to the questions about folder security. Respond to the questions on your week three homework page.
- Go to the page on Page Security. Watch the short videos and respond to the questions about page level security. Respond to the questions on your week three homework page.
Register for this week’s webinar on July 7th at 10:00PST: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/333808003
Week Four: July 13 – 17
Three ways to invite your students — including the BRAND NEW Classroom Accounts
- Request Access
- Upload email address
- Automatically create accounts without email address (for students under 13)
- How to introduce your wiki to students so it works
- Parent permission forms
- FAQ page
- What to expect when your students take over
- Wiki management
Live Discussion on inviting students and the suprising results
Homework week four: this should take 30 minutes
- Set your notification setting in my.pbwiki.com to make sure you receive notifications of student changes
- Upload your student email address, or print out your student accounts
- Determine what invite menthod works for your class and discuss it on the forum
Register for this week’s webinar on July 14th at 10:00PST: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/983510451
Final: Webinar Wrap up on July 21st
- Review and new features for educators.
No Homework — Just new features for your workspace!
Register for this week’s webinar on July 21st at 10:00PST: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/756888211
Sounds intriguing? Then sign up HERE.