Technology is often created to make things more efficient and our lives easier. I also think that there has been excellent developments in the field of technology to support our various learning needs.
New technology, such as the Kindle II e-reader, are supporting learners who have disabilities and also offer text-to-speech support. I think I first viewed this gadget as a new reading toy, but this little device has such a greater purpose for supporting learners.
Other technologies that are assisting the classroom include:
- SMART Boards: interactive white boards engage learners
- Free video lectures: streamed on the internet or downloadable
- Class portal: lecture notes, slides & other course material; discussion board and option for virtual office hours
Students are using technologies that are often free, social and portable:
- Accessible mobiles & PDAs
- Digital cameras (with CapturaTalk)
- Screen shot readers
- iPods or mp3 players to view recorded lectures
What are other new technologies that YOU have seen students utilizing at your institution to help them learn?
For other contributions about assistive technology tools used in education here are just a few links to check out: