In setting up my clients for success, beyond any coaching engagement, I thought — why isn’t there more of a career check-up available? What would work assessment look like if someone wanted to take a pulse check? I dug into some of my coaching resources and readings to share questions often ask my clients. If you want to think more deeply about your career and life — specifically how you might want to make your next professional move— then these career exploration questions might be a solid place to start your own reflection.
I used to do a monthly check-in tied to a planner for my own work life and projects — thanks to my Get To Work Book. There are monthly prompts to “reflect and goal set” on a regular cadence to ask what is going well, what’s still in progress, what needs attention/focus, and what could/should I let go of that’s not getting done. I love dedicating space and time to think intentionally about what I am working on — and more importantly to look at the bigger picture: Career Direction. Maybe it’s time to set up some regular appointments to review and ask, “How’s it going with my career?” Here are a few questions I tend to ask coaching clients when they start on this career check-in journey.
Explore Your Career Interests
- How did I get here professionally?
- What do I want to stop doing? What deflates you at work?
- What do I want to start doing? What excites you on the job?
- What do I want to continue doing? (E.g. transferable skills)
- What are the verbs or actions I enjoy doing at work?
Define What Work Means to You
- What work excites you or makes you feel alive?
- What are the things you love to do at your job?
- How do you define meaningful work?
- What do you want your career growth to look like?
- What skills do you want to build and grow?
Ponder Your Career Possibilities
- What do you find interesting?
- What topics do you often talk and/or read about?
- What issues or ideas do you genuinely care about?
- What do you want to learn in your next role?
- If work was not required, what would you do?
Transfer Your Talents & Skills
- How do you want to expand on our professional experience(s)?
- How would you like to use your talents and skills?
- In what ways can another industry utilize your expertise?
- What are the problems you want to work on?
- What impact would you like to make in your life/career?
Want to learn more? Check out these reads resources to help you think deeper about your career direction: Find Your Fit, The New Rules of Work, and Designing Your Work Life. If you want to talk more, feel free to book an exploration coaching session to learn if/how I could if support your career plans.