My good friend/colleague Eric Stoller invited me to join his latest adventure with Student Affairs Live (#SALive) last week to further share my thoughts on PLNs and how to breakdown the silo mentality in higher education. #SALive is an extention the awesome weekly Higher Ed Live (#HElive) video podcasts/shows offered weekly by Seth Odell. Both of these weekly shows provide interesting and engaging topics for students, professionals and faculty members working in higher education.
I thought I’d share a few of the show highlights & discussion points below…
What is a Personal Learning Network (PLN) for Student Affairs Professionals or others in Higher Education?
- Professional development – learn from content-area specialists
- Locate resources for your Student Affairs (SA) content area – such as free websites, software, etc
- Get ideas from experienced SA Pros & Grad Students – initiatives, programs, suggested practices in the field
- Learn about new technology & how to integrate it into professional field and/or content area
- Find collaborative solutions – crowd-source it!
- Getting connected – to people, knowledge, information, best practices, opportunities
- Staying current with the trends & literature in Higher Ed & SA: – interesting links, news, articles, journals, event
- RSS feed of reading fun – blogs, news, people, podcasts & then some!
- Having a bit of a chat – dialoguing & sharing
- Support – motivation from peers in your professional network
General PLN resources shared during the video podcast:
- The Networked Student
- Thoughts on My PLN
- Tools to Help Grow Your PLN
- Your Personal PLN Made Easy
- Hashtags I stay in touch with: #SAChat #AcAdv #edtech #phdchat #HigherEd #lrnchat #elearning #ocw #oer #SM #CTCX #SAdoc #SAgrad #SAjobs #NACADA
- What’s your LinkedIn Map look like & how are you connecting your PLN?
- Broaden Your Horizons & Expand the conversation – Chat or Lurk on OTHER chats here: Twitter Chat Schedule
This is just one of many Student Affairs Live episodes for @EricStoller – so if you liked the first few be sure to check it on Wednesday at 3 pm CST. The next #SAlive show on April 6th will be about the #NASPACPA Association Consolidation vote. Tune in live here: http://bit.ly/StudentAffairsLive