The next online, open education course I am involved with this semester is EC&I 831: Social Media & Open Education from the University of Regina with Dr. Alec Couros that meets only every Tuesday evening (8-10pm CST). I first learned about this course through a few online networks in the ed tech arena, and I thought it may be an interesting lens to review curriculum and content development for learning. Here’s the 5 minute elevator pitch for the course:
The Tuesday evening elluminate session provided the basic introduction to the course schedule and outline. I am looking forward to connecting to other students to further explore the role of the educator/learner in terms of media literacy, knowledge and social networks.
It was great to hear the parallels between my personal philosophy of education, and how it ties into the learning objectives of this course. Dr. Couros’ believes that there are great strengths in learning relationships and connectiveness amongst students, rather than just the specific content or knowledge. It will be interesting to see how this sentiment is interpretted by the various weekly session speakers and participants throughout the course of the semester.
Although this course is similar to CCK09, I think that EC&I 831 will challenge me to:
- get perspectives of social media education – history, ideas & development
- expand my social learning theories & applications
- experiment & play with NEW social learning & open educational tools/resources
- provide a critical lens for curriculum development with social media & open education
- build up my learning network – connect & enage with new online peers
2 thoughts on “Open, Connected & Social With EC&I 831”