Financial crisis has hit the US, and this has impacted many fiscal decisions in higher education. One of first areas to be cut in college & university budgets is professional development.
Although it is critical to engage our faculty & staff in personal and professional growth, it will be our challenge to be more “creative” with how we go about it. Instead of attending conferences, workshops & seminars far away we are suggested to look towards internal development or online cost-effective alternatives.
Since I am interested in further education & support in the higher education field I thought it would great to share some online professional development resources. Some of these are free or a cheaper alternative if you connect with your department staff:
- Knowledge Media Design Institute, University of Toronto: ePresence Presentation Portal & Lecture Series
- NACADA: Webinar Events
- Educause Live! free monthly events
- ACPA Higher Education: Webinar Series
- NASPA: New Professionals Online Series & members only E-Books
- InsideHigherEd.com: podcasts
- StudentAffairs.com: Online Courses, Listservs & Blogs
- POD Network Resources
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education: Events
- Academic Impressions Events (some online)
- Articles & resources in The Chronicle
- Impact Alumni: podcasts
- Alumni Futures: blog
Feel free to add your 2 cents as to where to get free/inexpensive professional development.