Hello #acadv & #nacada13 friends! The 2013 Annual NACADA Conference has kicked off, and is in full swing here in Salt Lake City, UT. This might be my last week serving as the NACADA Technology in Advising Commission (#AdvTech) chair; however I have no doubt that our group will continue great things with the incoming elected chair, Julie Larsen (@julieclarsen). Here is a little bit about our NACADA Commission, and how you can get involved with us whether you are in SLC or at home.
What is the #AdvTech Commission?
The purpose of NACADA’s Technology in Advising Commission is to help academic advisors, faculty advisors, and advising administrators understand the impact of using technologies in advising, including:
- Online communication & virtual advising
- Degree audits & web registration
- Student information systems & electronic advising notes
- Social and connected spaces for innovative staff/faculty resources
- Understand the ideas and trends of how technology is being utilized in higher education
How to get active with our commission? Find out from our very own #advtech steering committee member and NACADA Commission & Interest Group Division Service Award winner, Paul Cox (@peacox), on how to get ACTIVE with #advtech:
Do you want to get involved and ACTIVE with the #advtech commission? #AdvTech NACADA Technology in Advising Commission Sign-up for 2013-2014 http://bit.ly/advtech13. This form is for ALL commission members both at the conference in SLC and at home. Please let us know HOW you want to be involved this year. Talk to our #advtech steering committee leaders or me if you have questions, ideas, or suggestions for our commission!
- Website: http://bit.ly/AdvTechWebsite
- Facebook Group: http://bit.ly/AdvTechFbGroup
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nacadaadvtech
- Hashtag: Follow #AdvTech & #AcAdv (#nacada13 at the conference)
- Get Involved! Sign Up Here: http://bit.ly/AdvTech2013
Here are a few dates, times and locations to for our #AdvTech Commission Happenings and Events at the 2013 NACADA Annual Conference:
• CIG Fair & Continental Breakfast – Tuesday (10/8) from 7:15-8:30 am (Exhibit Hall A); drop by our booth & say hello!
• #AdvTech Commission Meeting – Tuesday (10/8) from 4:30-5:30 pm (251 EF); all are welcome – information, updates & fun.
• #nacada13 & #AcAdv Chat Tweet Up – Tuesday (10/8) 7:30 pm (Location TBA) http://bit.ly/nacada13tweetup (Pass it on!)
• #AdvTech HOT TOPIC – Wednesday (10/9) from 10:30-11:30 am (255 C); roundtable discussions to chat more about advising technology, specifically:
1. Mobile Learning in Academic Advising
2. Enterprise (CRM/LMS) Student Information Systems in Advising
3. Communication Modes & Mediums We Use with Our Students
4. Advising Technology Policies, Strategies, & Guidance in Our Institutions
Side note: Here are #nacada13 panels I am involved outside of the #advtech commission specific events:
- Session 42: How To Hack Your PhD: Being a Doctoral Student & Academic Advisor @drmelissajl, @polishpattycake, @sarahhcraddock – Monday (10/7) 11:30 am-12:30 pm in Grand Ballroom A
Session 94: Social Media “Strategery” & Guidance for Advising with @matt_rupert – Follow #SMadv & http://bit.ly/smadv – Monday (10/7) 3:15-4:15 pm in 255 C
- Session 165: #AltProDev Using Technology in Training: Informal Learning & Communities of Practice for Advising with @allenmtaylor, @peacox, @polishpattycake – Tuesday (10/8) 11:15 am-12:15 pm in 255 D